# Progress report for Ghent University
Reporting period from March 2017 to January 2018
## Finance and administration
- There is more than enough money available on the travel budget. Part of the
reason is that some travels have been payed by other funding sources.
- It is not entirely clear whether the ODK personnel budget for UGent will be
sufficient to pay Jeroen Demeyer until the end of the project.
Certainly, a significant portion of the overhead will be needed for this.
If that is not enough, some travel money might be transferred.
Finally, Prof. De Medts guarantees to cover the gap with his personal budget.
- Starting 1 October 2017, Jeroen Demeyer has a 100% position instead of 40% before.
This will run until the end of the project.
- Delivered [D4.7](https://github.com/OpenDreamKit/OpenDreamKit/issues/96):
the Jupyter kernels for various mathematical programs have been finalized.
These are installed on CoCalc and are available as optional packages for
- Made it easy to use Sphinx to auto-generate documentation for Cython
projects. The result of this is now used by several Cython projects
This is part of [D4.13](https://github.com/OpenDreamKit/OpenDreamKit/issues/87).
- Several important contributions were made to the Cython project.
While this is not a direct goal of ODK, it benefits many pieces of
ODK which use Cython as programming language.
The impact is not limited to ODK though, as Cython is used by
a lot of scientific and other software.
- The SageMath distribution has been ported to various
operating systems and processor architectures where it
was not supported before.
This fits in [T3.1](https://github.com/OpenDreamKit/OpenDreamKit/issues/50).
## Work in progress
- Major steps have been taken to port SageMath to Python 3.
- There is ongoing work in improving the cysignals and cypari2
packages, which are spin-offs from SageMath.
During the PARI/GP atelier in January 2018, some ideas were put
forward to make cypari2 more efficient. This is work towards
## Workshops and dissemination activities
(TODO: does this mean *organized* or *attended* workshops?)
- Wrote [blogpost](http://opendreamkit.org/2017/06/09/CythonSphinx/)
on how to generate documentation for Cython projects.