Minutes for the meeting of the OpenDreamKit Steering Commitee on the 27th of June 2016
The meeting was held at the Jacobs Universität Bremen.
Were physically present:
- Hans Fangohr (HF): University of Southampton
- Marijan Beg (MB): University of Southampton
- Luca di Feo (LDF): Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin
- Paul-Olivier Dehaye (POD): Universität Zürich
- Dmitrii Pasechnik (DP): University of Oxford
- Nicolas M. Thiéry (NT): Coordinator
- Michael Kohlhase (MK): Jacobs University Bremen
- Florian Rabe (FR): Jacobs University Bremen
- Benjamin Ragan-Kelley (BRK): Simula Research Laboratory
- Vincent Delecroix (VD): CNRS
- Florent Cayré (FC): Logilab
- Alexander Konovalov (AK): University of St Andrews
- Benoît Pilorget (BP): Project manager
Were able to participate remotely via conference call:
- John Cremona (JC): University of Warwick
We used a framapad to edit collaborately the minutes.
No vote was planned for this meeting. Partners not represented (UNIKL, USFD, UJF and USlaski) are informed by the floowing minutes.
Slides of the meeting.
Amendment to the Grant Agreement
##Discussion of changes to budget
BP reminded the major changes in the Grant number 676541
- addition of Ghent as ODK partner (quorum reached to accept this addition)
- updates of previously accepted due dates for tasks and deliverables
- changes in budget:
- minor reshuffling
- transfers from Paris Sud to UGENt
Position of Paul-Oliver DEHAYE in UZH/Michael KOHLHASE in Bremen
Things got better thanks to the SC intervention. A contract is on track.
MK announced that he has received a job offer from FAU Erlangen Nuremberg. There is a high probability that he will accept this offer, effective September 1. 2016. Most of the research group will move with him, FR (Co-PI) is not formally decided yet. The steering committee congratulates MK and will support him in moving his group and the OpenDreamKit project to the new university.
(Internal) financal evaluation
- Percentage of money spent, only 20.69% (without USTAN, Logilab and UOXF which have not replied yet). Pre-financing month 1 = 2 134k EUR (covers 18 months) Funds spent month 9 = 440k EUR Not everyone supposed to be hired was hired, but cost are growing thanks to a the (long) hiring process
Wait and see. Keep calm and carry on.
News from Steve Linton: - we have a list of potential members - nobody has been contacted yet. Maybe one person was. - POD is volounteering to write a template email (this was done shortly after the meeting) - The Steering Committee agreed to have 7 people in the AB - Attention to gender equality
- 2-3 people should come together and decide to pick the first 7 people asked to be part of the Board
Link in the slides, and below:
January 2017 (small meeting)
- workshop PARI/GP Jan 9th-13th 2016 Lyon
- Bilefeld (group theory) USTAN and UJF agreed to come together to decide which of their workshops can host ODK meeting
- Formal Review up to month 18 (May): located in Brussels and/or Gent?
June 2017 (preparation for month 24 deliveries)
- Keep an eye out for the other conferences, notably FOCM (Barcelona 10-19 July)
2017 in ICMS: timeline not so tricky => USTAN in charge AK thinks a conference could be organised by Janary 2017 or so.
FR takes in charge the application to Dagstuhl (+ add Wolfram Decker in the process)
- Hans: planning workshop in US - Min: jupyter at SciPy US july / EuroSciPy august - Min: 3D visualization at Simula in winter/spring - Vincent Delecroix: planning a Julia/flint/Sage meeting about algebra (from polynomials to number fields), 1st semester 2016-2017 Bordeaux (?) - Michael Kohlhase: Workshop in Edinburgh as CICM satellite, july 2017 - Alex: joint event with Codima's training school (Codima = extra booster for dissemination activities) - Loic Gouarin: training school - Software Carpentry instructor training around Paris
The website does not advertise enough what we are doing despite the fact that the procedure is described on the [readme](https://github.com/OpenDreamKit/OpenDreamKit/. MK and FR would like to see the activities (workshops; presentations etc) better advertised. LDF agreed to build a blog on the website, blog which will show activities. MK would also like to be more present in the media and to have the website built for people outside of the OpenDreamKit community. BP will discuss communication and dissemination issues with Viviane Pons, whou could not be present during this committee..